It all began with two dreamers on a car ride. Colleen McShea, MS, CCC-SLP and Catie Sondrol, MOTR/L had never met prior to a 6 hour car ride to northern Mohave County to evaluate a child. During the car ride they shared a vision of a “one stop” shop for pediatric therapy services in the rural area of Mohave County. This vision came together as they incorporated in January 2006 and began working nights and weekends in children’s homes for Milemarkers while they continued to hold full time jobs. In March 2007, Milemarkers first “home” came to be and children began receiving services in clinic. Since then Milemarkers has grown and now has a staff of 75 dedicated employees.
Mission of Milemarkers: To create a positive impact on the quality of life for the families we serve.
The focus of Milemarkers is to provide education, support, and environments for families and individuals with disabilities within our community, county wide. Milemarkers believes that individuals with disabilities should have the opportunity to receive therapy services and supports in their own community in order to increase their functional independence. At the heart of our service planning and delivery are core values and philosophy that help shape family friendly and diversified services.
As an organization:
- We believe that human relationships are the basis for growth and change.
- We respect the individuals we serve, their families, our employees, as well as the companies with whom we do business.
- We are committed to finding positive solutions for both the individuals we serve and their families.
- We are committed to helping individuals we serve have the best opportunity to both develop relationships and to realize their full potential.
- We encourage a culture that embraces and promotes growth, change and innovation through teamwork with multiple disciplines, families, and consumers.
- We provide employment coaching and support for individuals with disabilities which does have a positive impact on our local economy.
- We provide supervised visitation and parent aide training in hopes of reunifying families in the foster care system.
- We provide interdisciplinary teaming throughout all programs.
- We educate the community to recognize abilities rather than disabilities.
- We provide education and training at multiple levels for students up to professionals in the therapy field.